Please know that we moved the 9-10 grade B-Flat Clarinet etudes used for the concert band auditions into the Melodious & Progressive Studies, Book 1 by David Hite. As always, pending any changes that may occur with the audition process and requirements, be sure to thoroughly read all specific details when the audition requirements are published to the FBA website.
Corrections and Clarifications
Please check this section often in the event we need to make corrections or clarifications to the requirements.
- 5/03/2023: High School Jazz Alto and Tenor sax etudes were corrected
- 5/03/2023: Symphonic Flute Lyrical Etude update: pg. 61, #5, measures 1 to 16 + 1 note.
- 5/04/2023: Middle School Trumpet Lyrical Etude is m. 17 to the end, not "all."
- 5/05/2023: 9-10 Concert Band Flute Lyrical Etude should be "top" part.
- 5/11/2023: The All State High School Jazz Band Audition requirements have been updated to include THREE (3) choruses of "Fast Blues In F" from the Jamey Aebersold Volume 2 book to allow for more development of the improvisation portion of the audition.
- 5/11/2023: Symphonic Band 11/12 grade Mallet Etude: In measure 12 - play the last note as the “B” option on the “and" of beat 4.
- 6/2/2023: Middle School Clarinet: technical exercise should say p.50-51, to meet the requirement of (all).
- 6/2/2023: High School Jazz Trumpet, Swing Excerpt, Tempo should be marked at mm=160
- 7/6/2023: High School Jazz Trombone & Bass Trombone updated etude fixes a beaming issue in m4 of the Bossa Nova excerpt.
- 7/10/2023: HS Jazz Piano: See Page 4 of the updated document linked below (Last excerpt page) for five excerpt updates & clarifications from July 10th
- Pay close attention to the specific editions of the books that are used for the requirements.
- Repeats, D.S. and D.C. should be performed unless otherwise noted on the requirements.
- Grade levels indicated refer to the grade the student will be in during the 2023-2024 school year.
- NEW THIS YEAR:
- The B-flat Clarinet etudes and E-flat Clarinet etude will now be from the Melodious & Progressive Studies, Book 1, by David Hite for the 9-10 Concert Band.
- For the chromatic scale requirement, instead of a minimum required tempo, it is now listed as a “suggested tempo”. In addition, there is now a time limit for the performance of the chromatic scale specific for each level band.
- For the required scales, there are now set range limits for each wind instrument. These are listed on a 2nd PDF page after the “Audition Requirements” page file. The scale limits are different for each level band.
- For the Middle School Jazz etudes, you will notice that piano, guitar, and bass will utilize a small segment of “chord changes only”, which will allow players to navigate their own stylistically correct lines/parts based on the harmonic layout.
Middle School Band (7th & 8th grade) (updated 6/2/23)
Concert Band (9th & 10th grade)
Symphonic Band (11th & 12th Grade)
Piano (9th through 12th Grade)
Middle School Jazz Band (7th & 8th grade)
High School Jazz Band (9th - 12th grades)