These are the audition requirements for the all-state bands that will audition in September 2018 and perform in January 2019.
Changes for 2018-2019:
- The scale order for the Concert and Symphonic level auditions will now be Concert C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, B, E, A, D, G
- The time limit to play all 12 scales for the Concert and Symphonic level auditions will now be 2 minutes and 30 seconds
- The piano audition is now an individual audition for grades 9-12, and it is no longer necessary for students to also audition on another instrument.
- Piano students must be a member of a performing ensemble within the band program at their school.
- Students selected for piano may be placed in the Concert Band, Concert Orchestra, Symphonic Band or Symphonic Orchestra based on the need for piano in those particular ensembles each year.
Corrections and Clarifications
Check this section often in the event we need to make corrections or clarifications to the requirements
- 5/14/2018: Middle School Bass Clarinet:
Lyrical exercise - pg. 32 #11, bottom line, beginning to measure 12, no repeat, eighth note = 90
- 5/14/2018: 11/12 Flute:
Technical exercise - pg. 36 #4, meas. 1-30, play second ending + 1 note.
- 5/8/2018: Symphonic Band Percussion:
Snare and Mallet exercises were updated. See the new requirements below.
- As always, pay close attention to the specific editions of the books that are used for the requirements.
- Repeats, D.S. and D.C. should be performed unless otherwise noted on the requirements.
- Grade levels indicated refer to the grade the student will be in during the 2018-2019 school year.
Middle School (7th & 8th Grade)
Concert Band (9th & 10th Grade) Woodwinds
Concert Band (9th & 10th Grade) Brass & Percussion
Symphonic Band (11th & 12th Grade) Woodwinds
Symphonic Band (11th & 12th Grade) Brass & Percussion
Piano (9th - 12th Grade)
Middle School Jazz
High School Jazz