New Additions Approved December 2019
2019-2020 Concert Music List (Excel)
2019-2020 Concert Music List (PDF)
Sight Reading Rubric/Content Guidelines 2018
Student Conductor Selections:
- Lyric Overture, Erickson
- Welsh Rhapsody, Grundman
- From Shire A Sea, Davis
- Heritage, Caudill
- Lindbergh Variations, Sheldon
- Early English Suite by Duncombe/Finlayson (Gr 2)
- Scenes from Russia by Del Borgo (Gr. 2)
- Bristol Bay Legend by Sheldon (Gr. 2)
- Songs of Scotland by Williams (Gr. 2)
- Five Little Dances (any three contrasting meters) by Creston/Longield (Gr. 3)
- American Cameos by Jay Dawson (Gr. 3)
Middle school student conductors may choose any piece from the FBA concert music list with at least 3 different meters.
Browse and Search the Current Solo & Ensemble List
Auxiliary Timing Requirements
Exceptions and Directions:
- Piccolo: Piccolos may select music from the flute list. Keep in mind the selection will also be evaluated on its suitability.*
- Oboe / English horn: English horns may substitute any double reed solo from the list.*
- Oboe Trios may play from the Flute Trio List with alterations to range permissible. Change the category to Woodwind Trio.*
- Bassoon Trios may play off the Trombone Trio List. Change the category to Woodwind Trio.*
- Eb Clarinet: Eb Soprano Clarinet may play suitable music from the Bb Clarinet list.*
- Bass Clarinet may play from the Bb Clarinet List. Appropriateness of chosen repertoire should be considered. Change the category to Bass Clarinet Solo.
- Saxophone solos: Soprano Saxophone may play from the Tenor saxophone list.*
Bass Saxophone may play from the Baritone Saxophone list.
Baritone saxophone may only play from the Alto Saxophone list with special permission from the S&E Music Committee Chair.
- Mixed Ensembles: Mixed ensembles may use substitute instruments only as included on the original score.
- Trombones: Trombone and Euphonium lists are interchangeable.*
- Bass Trombone may play from the Tuba List. Appropriateness of chosen repertoire should be considered. Change the category to Bass Trombone Solo.
- Euphoniums: Trombone and Euphonium lists are interchangeable. Change the category in MPA Online to the correct instrument.*
- Treble Clef Baritone may play from the Trumpet List Grades 1-3. Change the category to Euphonium Solo. *
- Mallets: Mallets soloists may play grade 1, 2 & 3 Flute and Oboe Literature.*
Instruments bracketed parenthetically indicate optional parts.
In addition to listed choir music, quartet, quintet, and sextet music may be used to form choirs. There must be at least two(2) players per part.*
Percussion ensembles may NOT double parts.
Chamber winds MUST be performed in the exact instrumentation listed - NO DOUBLING, NO SUBSTITUTIONS.
- String Bass: A string bass player in a school that does not have an orchestra, may perform a double bass solo at the FBA solo/ensemble MPA. The solo must be on the FOA solo list. The difficulty levels shall be determined as follows:
FOA Class A = FBA Grade 5
FOA Class B = FBA Grade 4
FOA Class C = FBA Grade 3
FOA Class D = FBA Grade 2
FOA Class E = FBA Grade 1
Students must play a Grade 5 (class A) to be eligible for State MPA.
- Extended Time for Longer Solos: If you have a student who wishes to play a solo that is longer than the allotted time limit after making appropriate cuts as described in the FBA Handbook on page 21-22, you may request an extended time block for their performance:
- The request should be made to your district chair. Let them know how much more time the student will need.
- District chairs: after you schedule your MPA, you can extend the student's timeslot in MPA Online:
- Go to the "Schedule" page
- Select the student's Judge from the Judge drop-down
- Find the student's entry and click the "+2 min" button. This will push all events after this one 2 minutes later each time you click that button. Repeat for each additional 2 minutes the director has requested.
*When playing music from another category, the director must change the category of the entry in MPA Online. For example, if a Trombone is playing a piece from the Euphonium Solo list, after you enter it in MPA Online it will think it's a Euphonium solo so you must manually change the "Category" to "Trombone Solo." Or, if you are doubling parts of a quartet, quintet, or sextet to make it a choir, you must change the category of the MPA Online entry to the appropriate type of choir.