New Additions Approved December 2018
2018-2019 Concert Music List (Excel)
2018-2019 Concert Music List (PDF)
Sight Reading Rubric/Content Guidelines 2018
Student Conductor Selections:
- Lyric Overture, Erickson
- Welsh Rhapsody, Grundman
- From Shire A Sea, Davis
- Heritage, Caudill
- Lindbergh Variations, Sheldon
- Early English Suite by Duncombe/Finlayson (Gr 2)
- Scenes from Russia by Del Borgo (Gr. 2)
- Bristol Bay Legend by Sheldon (Gr. 2)
- Songs of Scotland by Williams (Gr. 2)
- Five Little Dances (any three contrasting meters) by Creston/Longield (Gr. 3)
- American Cameos by Jay Dawson (Gr. 3)
Middle school student conductors may choose any piece from the FBA concert music list with at least 3 different meters.
2015-2019 Solo/Ensemble Music List (Excel)
Auxiliary Timing Requirements
Exceptions and Directions:
- Piccolo: Piccolos may select music from the flute list. Keep in mind the selection will also be evaluated on its suitability.*
- Oboe / English horn: English horns may substitute any double reed solo from the list.*
- Eb Clarinet: Eb Soprano Clarinet may play suitable music from the Bb Clarinet list.*
- Saxophone solos: Soprano Saxophone may play from the Tenor saxophone list.*
Bass Saxophone may play from the Baritone Saxophone list.
Baritone saxophone may only play from the Alto Saxophone list with special permission from the S&E Music Committee Chair.
- Mixed Ensembles: Mixed ensembles may use substitute instruments only as included on the original score.
- Trombones: Trombone and Euphonium lists are interchangeable.*
- Euphoniums: Trombone and Euphonium lists are interchangeable. Grade 1&2 Baritone TC may play from the trumpet list. Grade 3 or higher may be played with special permission from the S&E Music Committee Chair.*
- Mallets: Mallets soloists may play grade 1, 2 & 3 Flute and Oboe Literature.*
Instruments bracketed parenthetically indicate optional parts.
In addition to listed choir music, quartet, quintet, and sextet music may be used to form choirs. There must be at least two(2) players per part.*
Percussion ensembles may NOT double parts.
Chamber winds MUST be performed in the exact instrumentation listed - NO DOUBLING, NO SUBSTITUTIONS.
- String Bass: A string bass player in a school that does not have an orchestra, may perform a double bass solo at the FBA solo/ensemble MPA. The solo must be on the FOA solo list. The difficulty levels shall be determined as follows:
FOA Class A = FBA Grade 5
FOA Class B = FBA Grade 4
FOA Class C = FBA Grade 3
FOA Class D = FBA Grade 2
FOA Class E = FBA Grade 1
Students must play a Grade 5 (class A) to be eligible for State MPA.
*When playing music from another category, the director must change the category of the entry in MPA Online. For example, if a Trombone is playing a piece from the Euphonium Solo list, after you enter it in MPA Online it will think it's a Euphonium solo so you must manually change the "Category" to "Trombone Solo." Or, if you are doubling parts of a quartet, quintet, or sextet to make it a choir, you must change the category of the MPA Online entry to the appropriate type of choir.