This short entry is not meant to make light of the demands heaped upon music educators this semester. But, who has time to add one more thing to his or her plate? So here is a January list for the novice band director:
- GO TO THE FMEA PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CONFERENCE, even if you can only go for a day.
- Listen to Bands
- Attend Sessions
- Talk shop with other directors
- Socialize with your colleagues
- GET YOUR PAPERWORK IN ON TIME AND DONE CORRECTLY.
- Be sure paperwork is signed and you have your check
- DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE IN TROUBLE TO ASK FOR HELP.
- No matter the situation, if you are a new director, the second you have an inkling that you MIGHT need some help – ASK! Do not wait until your band “sounds better” or “is ready” for guests. When you think you MIGHT need help ask for it.
- When someone offers help- TAKE IT.
- We are all very busy - if someone offers help, they probably think you need it or they see or hear that they can do something to help you and your students. Even if you don’t feel comfortable having someone else in your band room, make some recordings and use experienced ears that are offered to you.
See – How easy was that?? Have a great semester!